Friday, June 3, 2011

                                                                              WIKIPEDIA
Q1. Margaret Santori, (in the Literacy 2.0 book) demonstrates Wikipedia to her students. Most school do not allow Wikipedia to be used. Would you use Wikipedia like Margaret Santori with your students?  Why?
A1. The video attached, courtesy of YouTube, gives an overview of this site. I  must say it's not something that I take information from as a source. I usually go there if it's a quick basic question. Early on I was always told not to believe anything on the site, but I also know this site has greatly evolved over the years. I think Margaret Santori does a great job with incorporating Wikipedia as a discussion tool. The factor that students can learn to agree to disagree as long as they are able to argue their position is great! I always loved debate situations and hearing the "What Ifs" from other students. It helps with  effective student collaboration.

Q2. If three dimensional reading and writing books with technology (sound, hyperlinks, videos, etc) are our present, what do you think is the future of the written word?

A2. I can't imagine how much more advance we could get with technology in relation literacy. We're already at a point where information is readily available to us in the matter of click. I hope written word sticks around, but with online blogs and the social technologies now being able to capture moments instantly I think the amount of written word resources may be limited, but it won't vanish.

Truly,
dpledge

No comments:

Post a Comment